Thursday, April 28, 2005

Well, I'm back from a great visit to San Antonio. And I am tired. The flight back took forever, perhaps it was the three hour unexpected layover in the "international" airport in Jackson, Mississippi.
I spent an entire week in San Antonio with my girlfriend and my friends. I had an awesome time. The weather was spectacular, no rain, no infernal heat... it was perfect. I usually do three things for Fiesta: Cornyation, NIOSA, King William. My girlfriend added a 2 night stay at the Menger Hotel and my friends added the Battle of the Flowers parade. I'm not one for parades in the hot sun, but I couldn't say no to free tickets. Maybe it was the lack of water or the fact that the floats were uninspiring but I wasn't too impressed. Niosa was crowded as usual, but any claustophobia we were experiencing was counteracted with alot of food and drink. I love King William Fair, which is the unofficial Gay Pride festival. No fiesta is complete without a visit to the Bonham Exchange, which is the grand dame of SA gay clubs. I wonder how much money I spent over the years at the place. I shutter to think.

I spent all week with my girlfriend, who is as gracious as she is loving. I am reminded how lucky I am to have her in my life. She is wonderful. (gush) I have to say that this is the most mature, loving, open and fun relationship I have ever been in. She takes life seriously enough to laugh at the good parts and laughs with me when my neuroses du jour come up. (more gushing). I can't wait to be with her permanently.

So, I am back to the grind. Washington is beautiful in the springtime. The trees are turning green, the air is crisp and cool. It's going to be a nice spring. I live DC, it's a great town, but it's a transient place. The only things that stay here are the monuments. I may have not been born and raised there, but San Antonio is as close to home that I will ever have.

No comments: