Thursday, August 04, 2005

Don't mess with Texas, but we'll mess with DC

Boy, like I said before, Texans just LOVE to mess with DC. This time Henry Bonilla, the Representative for the 23rd District, which covers San Antonio to El Paso, has introduced a bill HR 3525 to rename 16th street into (get this) Ronald Reagan Blvd. What the fuck?! 16th street is a major throughfare that starts at the White House (1600 Pennsylvania) and it goes up to Maryland. It's this city's version of Main Street. It runs through diverse neighborhoods like Adams Morgan (Latino neighborhood), U Street (African American neighborhood), Dupont Circle (Gay enclave)... Y'know the people that really benefited from his policies. I live 2 blocks from 16th street and 2 miles from the White House (yeah, I checked) and this, of course, infuriates me. I despise how these out of towners impose their shit on us. I don't get this preoccupation with Reagan. It's like a cult. Remember the funeral? Hours of that on TV. Nancy and the casket? Now, that's a great actress!

And yet again I cannot say anything, because I am not a constituent. What right does Bonilla have to do this? He's not even a member of the subcomittee that covers the District. If this city was primarily a white city, would this happen? My bet we would be a state a long time ago. Anyway, seems like dumbass Bonilla might be running for the Senate (god help you Texas) so this would look good for the folks in Jeff Davis county. So yet again, I ask those in his district (you know who you are), email the pendejo.

2 comments:

Lorena said...

yeah i know you use to be right below me on the list. i guess it keeps changing because now you are not. :)

Anonymous said...

I think you may need to get over yourself its the name of a street so who really cares. Plus the guy was a President who did do alot of good things whether you agree with of his policies or not the man deserves some credit, but just because you dont like him doesn't mean you should start raggin on his wife and his funeral. Crap if you were married to someone you probably wouldnt be all smiles when they died. So get over yourself and let it go.