Friday, January 05, 2007

The year in the kaleidoscope

Yeah, it's been a while hasn't it? The past year flew by, experiences going through a kaleidoscope--spinning and changing shape in front of my eyes. Once an experience comes in view it changes in front of me...know what I mean? Maybe it's my ever-shorter attention span or that I have too much happening to sit down and reflect. Sadly I haven't had alot of time to think about things, I've been in a reaction mode. It gets tiring. I spent (the short) holidays refueling and relaxing, but traveling to see relatives and friends brought another level of stress that I didn't expect. I never really got into the holidays, it was always less than satisfying... feeling the push and pull from different people and trying to balance your desires with the desires of others is not what I think is a good time. Frankly, I am glad they are over.
Anyway, my girl and I celebrate a whole year living together. Actually it's been pretty good. She tolerates my neuroticisms. It must be her RN background.
School has kicked my ass. It's the toughest year so far. I have a externship that is time consuming but really interesting. I am working with kids, actually neuropsychologically evaluating them. It's challenging. I have to think about my dissertation (yes, it's on the horizon). But before that, I have to take the comprehensive exams next year. It seems the hurdles are coming closer together. I have to take it day by day (or so they tell me). Sometimes I think I am getting too old for this. I turned 38 in november, greyer at the temples (I'm told it looks sexy). Almost 40, sounds scary but right, y'know?
I am happy that the dems are in power but frustrated that the republicans still rule. Not a flurry of snow in washington. It's really depressing me. The seasons are on strike.

Here are some of the rants and raves for the past year...

RAVE: Corretta Scott King, Ann Richards, James Brown are in a better place
RANT: Britney, Paris and Lindsay are still here

RAVE: The Democrats take the House and the Senate
RANT: Bush is still in office

RAVE: DC may get the vote this year
RANT: But that means that Utah will get a seat too

RANT: The Hussein fiasco becomes viral with 16 million hits
RAVE: Riverbend's entry calling this a lynching

RAVE: Red Hot Chili Peppers, BBC Radio 1, John Legend
RANT: Pearl Jam, Clear Channel, Justin Timberlake

video of the day....

Foo Fighters: All my Life

No comments: